Translate

Monday, April 8, 2019

My Last Day at the Office

By: Fredolin P. Aguinaldo

I wonder when I’ll wear my barong again because it’s too formal when you do hydroponics gardening as part of your future plan. I hardly need my Pierre Cardin Couture sling bag where my wife stashes my lunch and gadgets every day. The route to West Bay, the financial district of Doha where Qatar Petroleum offices are well established.


A view at the top

I could almost drive my car along with Doha corniche passing by the Sheraton with my eyes shut, even it changed so much brought about by the continued prosperity of the State of Qatar.


Stretch of the Doha Corniche

The iconic Doha Sheraton Hotel
I remember the notorious crazy roundabout in B-ring road where new and seasoned driver dares to pass.


The old crazy roundabout
I recall some days when The Center and Salam Plaza have their grand sale that all cars are on one direction and caused much traffic to the respective areas.


A view of Qatar financial district
I got impatient when I could not hear the hits and nostalgic music played by DJ Elias Kalouhi of Qatar Broadcasting System (QBS) especially when caught in traffic while bringing my children’s to the Philippine School of Doha.


The new Philippine School Doha

The free health care services provided by the State of Qatar to all residents is envied by the whole world, I owe my second life to the late Dr. Ibrahim Al-Hijji MBBCh, FRCP, Sr. Consultant, Hematology & HSCT Unit Medical Oncology Department at National Center for Cancer Care and Research and staff who cared for me during my treatment from the dreaded “C”.  I am happy to be alive.



There were sunny weekends when I thought it could be nice to have the day off along with friends at Sumaisma beach to catch some fresh fish and crabs and now, I can have my everyday day off all year round.


Part of Sumaisma beach

Visitors at Sumaisma beach

My office table at Qatar Petroleum looks bare and there are few traces of my presence there for 34 years. I have already removed all my offshore photographs, certificates, and testimonials on the wall. My desk, which was always full of references and drawings is empty for now.


My grandiose office at the top

I have disposed of most of my files; they would be meaningless to my successor anyway. But my recent project files were carefully documented and in order, who knows what my life in Qatar Petroleum will bring beyond my retirement.   


A view at Halul Island oil terminal with a local college


1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Panyero & welcome to the club...hope to see you in Manila for a hot cup of barako with a matching bibingka...

    ReplyDelete