Translate

Monday, December 5, 2011

Cebu City, Philippines Travel Log: The Shoestring Budget Dec. 2, 2011

By Fredolin Pagdilao Aguinaldo - Cebu City.



The Shoesring budget:  
My airline ticket from Cebu Pacific was so cheap that I paid only Php 2, 100.00 / U$49.00 for a return ticket to Cebu. As advice to fellow travelers, it is a must to purchase ticket(s) during airlines promotional offer and make the most of it during your vacation in the Philippines when you are abroad and during holiday seasons for those local travelers who want's to spend their vacation to various tourist destination in the country.
.
I arrived at the domestic airport from our condo unit at Espana Towers along Espana Boulevard, Manila via a taxi cab that cost me about Php 250.00 (U$ 5.80) for that 30 minutes drive and since it is still an hour-ahead of my departure, I decided to have a sip of Cappuccino with a store value of Php 150.00 / cup (U$ 3.50) and a piece of carrot cake that cost me about Php 100.00 (U$ 2.31) unsuspecting that the slice will only act as thin-liner to my bulging tummy. Nevertheless, these suffice my hunger temporarily before proceeding to the check-in counter for my boarding pass. In there, I was so amazed to see such a long line of baggage's and a mixed race of passengers painstakingly waiting for their turn to be served. Among them are balikbayan with their bulging baggage's, though I am one of them, I decided to be a light-traveler this time.


For those passenger ahead of us, they are about to complete one agonizing check-in procedure just because I suspect that either those dispatchers serving us are over-worked or simply lazy-enough to perform their duty to the expense of  us travelers. For a while, I thought of those not-so-good write-ups regarding our International Airport as to the services rendered to passenger are hoax only to dis-credit the present administration but since I experienced those chaotic situations myself being an International and domestic airport user, I think there's really a need to upgrade our airport buildings as to the services rendered if we Filipino's  really want's to attract more foreign visitors and business investors into the country.
.
Also it is noticeable that most of those male foreign travelers has Filipina companion aside from those young couples from the North Americas, India, Great Britain, Mainland China and  Korea, makes me think that Cebu is really a tourist hub as of lover's lane paradise. Nevertheless, I was relived when my turn comes for me to have my boarding pass processes. Without further a due, I proceed straight to the boarding area but not to by-passed the security check to where we have to remove our shoes to be scanned thoroughly. Alas, I did reach the boarding area but can't endure the sight once again because of lack of view-window provided. Only a couple of 3-meters glass panel is available for those more than 200 passenger crammed in the waiting area. I have to return-back to the main lobby to wind-up and browse those local produce that is available for sale until such time that the final boarding announcement is heard.


 On my way to the airplane, I am about to enter the covered walkway tube but been directed instead to use the stair down to reach the tail-portion of the plane. Our flight will take around an hour to Cebu without any untoward incident of turbulence seen. At the Cebu International airport, I re-join with my wife Evelyn and daughter Anna Mae who traveled few minutes ahead of me. After our immigration procedures was made, we took a short taxi ride (Php 250.00 / U$ 5.78) from Cebu International Airport traversing the famous Marcelo B. Fernan bridge that overlook the scenic shipping dockyards and bustling sea-going routes. Without even trying to figure-out about businesses potentials,  the busy port can tell a lot of story that Cebu offers various business opportunities as well as continue creating jobs for those locals in the area.


As in Manila, I've seen a lot of public transport utilities cris-crossing around but the colorful jeepney's attract my attention most. When I first visited Cebu, more than 2-decades ago, SM Cebu is just starting it's operations. I still remember those story my brother told that his company done the dredging procedures to where SM Cebu is sitting now. A shallow marshland converted to one prime-properties and standing alone at that time, For now, every single space is being taken and turn this area as one Cebu business hub. From there, we reach Mango Avenue to check-in at the Mango Park Hotel (Php 2, 650.00 / night - U$ 61.33) which is located in the middle of Cebu commercial and business district.


No comments:

Post a Comment